Data scientists spend 80 percent of their time finding, cleaning and preparing relevant data for analysis. With Geospin, this is reduced to zero. This leaves more time for the actual profitable analyses.
The Geospin portal offers an upload and download function for data sets. This means that you can easily upload your own in-house data to our portal, visualize it there and compare or extend it with our data layers. The additional data can also be easily downloaded and used for your own analysis processes. A case study from Thüga AG.
The starting point and the questions
Thüga is the largest cooperative network of municipal energy and water service providers in Germany and is made up of more than 100 municipal utilities. Sustainability plays a major role at Thüga, and with it new mobility concepts such as car sharing.
For the profitability and hence the long-term operation of a car sharing system, a high utilization of the vehicles is essential. Therefore, providers must ask themselves the following questions when selecting a location:
- What is the durability of the vehicles per day?
- At what time of the day are vehicles used the most?
- Which vehicles are used more than others?
- Which factors influence whether a vehicle achieves high profitability and which do not?
- Where is a particularly high demand for vehicles?
Reliable answers to these questions make carsharing networks much more efficient and profitable, for municipal utilities and for society. And these questions are best answered with location intelligence.
Based on data from five carsharing providers in the Thüga network, Thüga Innovation Management wants to find out whether there are specific criteria for good locations with high vehicle utilization.
To do this, they wanted to compare the usage data of the individual vehicles with the geospatial data of their locations.
- So is there certain data that correlates with higher utilization?
So where do you get the geospatial data from? These are extremely multilayered and complex. Gathering the data would have taken an enormous amount of time, which would have been disproportionate to the result, especially in view of the uncertainty as to whether there were any correlations at all. So what to do? Geospin!
The Geospin Portal
They decided to use our Geospin portal to shorten the analysis and to directly access the data.
- First, they uploaded the data of the individual sites to the Geospin portal and had them visualized by icons on the map.
- Then, they selected the data layers in the portal that they deemed relevant to their analysis, including sociodemographic census data such as age and marital status of the local residents and the access to public transportation
- In the Geospin portal, they were able to use the zoom function to determine what radius they wanted to consider for the data layers.
- The download function made it easy to export and download the selected data layers for the selected radius as a .CSV file for further processing of the information in your own analysis system.
"The Geospin Portal has enabled us to identify a great amount of additional information regarding our sites, download data and use it for our own analysis. "
Evamaria Zauner, Innovation Manager, Thüga AG
And the results?
Our colleagues' analyses are still in full swing! And we are looking forward to the results!
And the conclusion of the whole thing
Data collection and management takes a lot of time. By using the processed and cleaned data from the Geospin portal, you buy yourself the time in which your analyses give you an immediate market edge.
Just give it a try!